Saigon Hi-Tech Park: Hi-Tech Heartland
After 11 years of development, as one of the only three national hi-tech parks and one of Ho Chi Minh City's five focal projects serving as the driving force for the city's development unitl 2015, Saigon Hi-Tech Park (SHTP) has become a trustworthy destination for hi-tech investment in Vietnam. Towards 2020, SHTP is to be a technopolis playing an important role of strongly enhancing the technological and intellectual base of Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and the Focal Economic Region of Southern Vietnam, and serving as a Vietnam's model of technological innovation, intellectual capital development and innovation economy.
Saigon Hi-Tech Park at a glance
Located in District 9 of Ho Chi Minh City, SHTP was established on October 24, 2002 by the Government. The Park is developed on an area of 913 hectares and includes two phases of development, of which the first Phase occupies 300 hectares and 613 hectares of the remaining area is of the second Phase. With a strategic location which is in proximity to the city's center, airport and sea ports of HCMC, and surrounded by 43 industrial parks and export processing zones of the Focal Economic Region of Southern Vietnam, the Park has full advantages to become a "technology and science city", a heartland and a spearhead of HCMC and the nation.
Besides, together with other advantages such as receving strong support of central and local governments, offering "one-stop-shop" application service and highest legitimate tax incentives to investors, etc., SHTP has been considered a bright point of foreign investment attraction in fieds of high technology througout Vietnam. The Park was proudly the investment destination of projects from global hi-tech corporations including Intel (the U.S) with its $US 1-billion project, Nidec (Japan), Sanofi (France), Datalogic (Italia), Microchip (the U.S), Sonion (Denmark), etc., as well as from leading domestic educational institutions and companies inclduing FPT Corp., Hutech, Nanogen, etc. As of May 2014, there are 77 projects of manufacturing, research, training and services in hi-tech sectors licensed in SHTP with the total investment capital of $US 2.4 billions, of which FDI capital accounts for 74%. Among these 40 projects are under operations and recruit more than 18.000 employees working at the Park.
Investment by sectors Investment by countries
So far all the manufacturing areas of the first Phase and a part of such area of the second Phase have been occupied. SHTP is paying attention on calling for investment in the service zones of Phase 1, the Science Zone (94 hectares) in the center of the Park and the remaining land lots of Phase 2. Investment in SHTP can be in multiple forms, including hi-tech manufacturing, hi-tech and commercial services, research and development (R&D), training and incubation, and must belong to four sectors of priority: (1) Microelectronics, IT and Telecommunication, (2) Precision Mechanics & Automation, (3) New, advanced materials, new energy, (4) Biotechnology applied in pharmaceuticals and environment.
SHTP Science Zone, 94 hectares, at the center of the Park. It is unformally mentioned as the "heart zone" of SHTP to foster the development of science & technology capacity of Vietnam and HCMC
Production of pharmaceuticals at Nanogen Biopharmaceutical, a leading company in biopharmaceuticals in Vietnam which was invested by Vietnamese overseas
SHTP Key Milestones
■ Late 2002
- Established with the approval of the Prime Minister
■ 2008 - 2010
- House-opening of SHTP Labs: Precision Mechanic and Automation Lab, Nano Technology Lab and Semiconductor Lab;
- Opening and putting into operation of SHTP Waste Water Treatment Plant.
■ 2004 - 2006
- Issuance of Decision No. 53 by Prime Minister on investment incentives in hi-tech parks;
- Establishment of SHTP R&D Center (SHTP Labs);
- Establishment of SHTP Training Center
- Investment certificate to Nidec Corp. - one of SHTP's anchor tenants.
■ 2010 - 2013
- Announcement of Phase 1's completion and start of Phase 2;
- Awarded 3rd-ranked Labor Medal by Prime Minister;
- Continued to be one of five focal economic projects of HCMC for the period of 2011 - 2015;
- Grand-opening of Intel Products Vietnam's factory;
- SHTP 10th Anniversary and ASPA 16th Annual Conference;
- SHTP 1st Annual Conference 2013.
■ 2006 - 2008
- Selected as one of five focal economic projects of HCMC for the period of 2006-2010;
- Issuance of investment certificate to $ US 1 billion project of Intel Corporation;
- Establishment of SHTP Incubation Centre (SHBI).